1. Best time to Visit BD : From Aug-March
2. Bangladesh Visa on Arrival (VOA) : It is very easy to get VOA only at airports (Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet). The booth is open 24 hours and procedure is easy. Just go the respective booth, provide your passport (No need photocopy, they will do it),pay the fees (USD 51) and get 4 Weeks visa stamp on your passport. All country Citizens are eligible to get VOA except : a. India, b. Pakistan, c. Algeria, d. Sudan, e. Iraq & f. Afghanistan . No VOA is provided in any land borders. The VOA is applicable only for those who arrive by air.
Over staying : Overstaying is not a big issue here. You can easily overstay some days. Some time immigration officers ignore this, specially in land borders. But there is a rule of fine for over staying : Tk 200 per day for first 15 days and Tk. 500 per day after 15 days.
3. Route Change permission : You may enter by air and leave by land. For this NO NEED to take permission from anywhere. Yes, there was such a rule earlier but no use at all. No one will ask you either onward ticket at airport or route permit at land border. So, don’t worry about this.
4. Visit From/to India: Click here for details
5. Currency : Taka (BDT). Present Currency Exchange rate (March 24, 2015) : 1 USD = 78.80 BD Taka
6. Banking hours: Sunday – Thursday (From : 10 am – 4 p.m)
7. ATM booths : There are many ATMs in almost all big cities (Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Barisal, Srimongol, Selhet, Coxsbazar), you will find many ATMs those accepts Visa/Master/Amex Cards. For better result use Dutch Bangla Bank ATM booths as they accepts all kind of cards. .
You also get several ATMs inside airport.
8. Money Changers/Banks: You will find Six banks inside airport (almost banks are open 24 hours) where can exchange money. You can find money changers at Motijheel, Fakirapool,Purana Paltan, Gulshan Circle 1& 2 and many other places.
9. Airport-Dhaka city transport: Though the usual Taxi fare is around Tk 300/- but almost all Taxis will demand Tk. 700-1000. But you can find some Tooktooks (Locally called CNG) just outside the main entrance. You get such CNGs only for Taka 400-500.
Other hand, if you walk around 100 meters, will find main road. Cross the road & take a Taxi/ CNG which will take only Tk. 300-400 to any place of Dhaka City. You will find also many buses to Gulistan/Motijheel/ Gulshan area. Fare only Tk. 20.
10. Some Budget Hotels in Dhaka: Please see separate page for hotel recommendation.
11. Hiring a Guide in Bangladesh: Due to language difficulty, an English speaking guide can help you to make your travel plan as well as to execute that plan. It is cheap here to hire a Guide. I know some guides who can serve only for USD 20-25/day (Depending on duration & destination).
12. Buying a SIM Card in Bangladesh/ Dhaka airport : It is so easy to buy a SIM Card in BD. You will find a GARMEENPHONE counter just beside the luggage belt. Buy a SIM card (BDT 150) and recharge some amount. Both Grameen and Banglalink have wide network in BD and also can call worldwide.
– Internet in Mobile : Grameen, Banglalink have almost same coverage. So, you can buy any of them.
a. Grameenphone : They have 1 GB package (Validity 1 month) with Tk. 345 (1 USD= 79.3 Taka)
b. Banglalink : 1 GB Package (1 month) with Tk. 310
Teletalk offers 3 G Mobile service Tk. 400 (2 Gb).
13. Swimming In Dhaka : It is very easy to practice you swimming in Dhaka. National swimming Federation pool offers short and long run facility to swim. The details as under :
National Swimming Federation, Mirpur Circle-10 (Adjacent to Cricket stadium), Dhaka
Time : 7 am-1 pm, 3 pm-9 p.m Weekly Holidays : Sunday & Monday.
Fee : Tk. 250 (One Hour), Tk. 2000 (Per Month)
14. Rocket Steamer trip: Rocket steamer may be the most highlight of you Bangladesh Trip. This 100 years old lazy paddle steamer goes till Morelgonj from Dhaka every day (except Friday) crossing many rivers. This is the best way to see Rivers of Bangladesh.- Days : Every day except Friday
– Starts at : 7.00 p.m (From Sadarghat River Station, Dhaka) & reach Hularhat 11 a.m and Morolgonj at 1.00 p.m
– 2.00 p.m : From Hularhat.
– Fare : Dhaka-Hularhat first class fare : Taka 2828, Morolgonj : Taka 3,388 ( Each Cabin has 2 beds, for single person just half the fare.)
– Deck Class fare : USD 2.5 (Taka 200)/Sleeping bag needed to travel by this class.
– Rocket steamer Ticket Booking : You can book the ticket 15/20 days before the trip and collect ticket before 2-3 days from Bangladesh Inland Transport Corp (BIWTC), 5 Dilkusha, Dhaka. Ph : (+880 2) 955 9779. Office hour : Sunday – Thursday from 9 am – 5 p.m. No online or e-mail booking facility.
15. Barisal-Chittagong-Barisal : Unfortunately the vessel stops their operation & no service for this route at present. But there is a nice alternate way to go Chitagong from Barisal by Ferry+Bus. FIRST TAKE THE FERRY TO MOJUCHOWDHURY HUT FROM LAUNCH GHAT. After 4 hours you will reach Mojuchowdhury Hut. Then immediately take the bus to Chittagong. It will take 4 hours to reach Chottagong.
16. Hiring a Car in Dhaka : It is easy to hire a Car in Dhaka. The usual cost is BD Taka 3000/day with Driver (+ Drivers food & accommodation for outside Dhaka Trip). Polton Circle is the best place. You will find a car rental service association in that circle. Talk to them & hire the car .
17. Chittagong Hill Tract permission (Rangamati/ Bandarbans): To visit Chittagong Hill Tract (Bandarban, rangamati and Khagrachori), you have to take prior permission Divisional Commissioner office located in Chittagong (Court Building). Just go to that office within working hour and fill up a form. It is free and will take only 5 minutes.
18. Dhaka-Chittagong/Coxsbazar bus service: It takes 6 hours (275 K.M) to reach Chittaong. Shohag, Green Line, Silk Line are the best in this route. Fare : Tk. 900 (Air con), Tk. 550 (Non air con). Dhaka Coxsbazar fare is : Tk. 1500/1600 (Air con) & Tk. 700 (Non air con). Almost buses have the Ticket Counter at Arambag/Fakirapool area. Some addresses of their head offices (also bus counter) are as under :
a. Shohag Paribhan (Trasnport), 114 Malibag DIT Road, Dhaka. Phone : 933 4477
b. Green Line : 9/2 Outer Circular Rd., Rajarbag, Dhaka. Ph : 933 9623
19. Train Service ( http://www.railway.gov.bd): From Dhaka, everyday many train go to different cities (Except Southern Cities like Barisal, Patuakhali). Train service is good & safe here. Some details as under :
a. Mohanagar Provati : 7.40 am – 3.15 pm (No off day)
b. Mohanagar Godhuli : 03.00 pm – 10.20 pm (Off day : Sunday)
c. Subarna Express : 4.20 pm – 10.40 pm (Off day : Friday)
d. Turna Express : 11.00 pm – 6.40 am (No off day)
Fare : Chair : Tk. 360, 1 st Class air con seat : Tk 620, Sleeper Class : Tk. 1100
a. Parabat Express : 06.40 am – Sri : 11.06 am / Syl : 1.40 p.m (Off day : Tuesday)
b. Joyantik Express : 02.00 pm – Sri : 07.10 pm /Syl : 09.25 p.m (No off day)
c. Upobon Express : 10.00 pm – Sri : 03.40 am/ Syl : 05.40 am (Off day : Wednesday)
– Dhaka-Khulna (From Dhaka Cantonment station)
Chitra Express : 7.30 pm – 6.30 am (Monday off)
Note : Advance tickets are available (10 days ago) from Kamalapur Railway Station (7 am-11 pm) & Bananai Rail Station (Near Kakoli, Time : 10 am-8 pm).
20. Chittagong-Sandwip-Hatia Vessel: You can also take a Island and Sea trip in BD. If so, catch the Ferry from Chittagong Sadarghat and go to Sandwip/Hatia. Details as under :
Every day at 9 a.m except Friday and Sunday from Chittagong Sadarghat.
Time : 3 Hours to Sandwip and 5.5 Hours to Hatia.
Dare : Taka. 90/105 (Deck Class) and 1st class is around 5 times higher.
You can get off at Hatia, stay 1 night and next morning take Ferry (Launch) to Dhaka.
21. Dhaka/Yangon/Dhaka direct flight (Yangon/Dhaka/Yangon Flight)
Biman Bangladesh Airlines operating flight between Dhaka-Yangon-Dhaka. Flight details as under :
:: MONDAY & THURSDAY ::
BG 060, Dep. Dhaka 4.15 p.m, Arrive Yangon at 6.30 p.m
BG 061, Dep Yangon 7.30 p.m, arrives Dhaka 8.45 p.m
22. Buying Rickshaw art/Rickshaw painting in Dhaka
Rickshaw art/Rickshaw painting is a piece of art widely used in Cycle Rickshaw. If you want buy such a Rickshaw panting, just go to Bangshal (Kazi Alauddin Road) and ask people about Rickshaw Painting. You also can try to Miazi Rexin House (91 Kazi Alauddin Rd) and Atekee Traders (92 Kazi Alauddin Rd) for Rickshaw Painting.